Trevco Insurance Home Page Support Contact Us Careers English Espanol Clutch Insurance
Auto Insurance   Home Insurance   Life Insurance   Business Insurance   Motorcycle & Boat Insurance
Auto Insurance Home Insurance Life Insurance Business Insurance Motorcycle & Boat Insurance

Understanding auto Insurance coverage in Texas

Follow these tips to read and understand your policy faster.

Have you ever sat down to read your auto insurance policy contract — not your Dec Page that lists the coverages you purchased, but the actual policy contract that looks like a very long legal agreement?

 If not, you're not alone. Many people find this task daunting due to the contract's complexity, so they avoid tackling it.

While we recommend that you read your policy to fully understand specific coverage details, we also know that your policy is written as a legal contract, so it can seem intimidating or confusing.

To simplify the reading of your policy, we've put together a brief overview of the types of coverages in a typical policy contract and how they work.

Elements of an Auto Insurance Policy

 Your auto insurance policy consists of sections that define every type of auto insurance coverage offered by your company. Policies are distinguished by the state in which they're issued, and coverages available may vary among states. Your policy simply explains the types of coverage available and how or when they can be used. For your specific policy information, please refer to the terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions contained in your specific policy.

If you see these coverages in your insurance policy, here's what they do:

  • Liability – This coverage consists of Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BI/PD), which covers your legal liability, up to the limit you select, for damages caused in a covered vehicle accident. Under BI/PD, your insurance company will pay for damages to an injured person and for property damage that you are legally obligated to pay as a result of an accident. If your insurance company covers an accident for which you are sued, they pay for a lawyer to defend you, too.
  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP) – Available in certain states and commonly referred to as "no-fault insurance," PIP covers your medical bills and often lost wages if you are disabled or unable to work as a result of an accident. PIP also usually covers the cost of personal services you must now pay someone else to do for you. PIP coverage is subject to a limit, which is specified in your policy.
  • Medical Payments (MedPay) – This coverage applies no matter who is at fault and covers the cost of reasonable and necessary medical care provided to you as the result of a car accident. The coverage is often limited to a specified time period following the accident (usually three years) and the amount of coverage you chose when you purchased the policy.
  • Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM) – UM/UIM coverage pays for damages that you are legally entitled to recover for your bodily injury. In general, this coverage provides what you would have received from the other person's insurance company had that person been insured. UM/UIM may also protect you if the person who caused the damage does not have enough insurance. Uninsured Motorist Property Damage coverage is available in some states and provides protection for damage to property caused by a person without insurance.
  • Collision – If your vehicle overturns, or if it collides with another vehicle or object, Collision coverage pays for the damage to your vehicle. Collision involves a deductible amount you select when you purchase your policy. This amount, typically $250 or $500, is the amount you are required to pay in the event a claim exceeds the deductible amount.
  • Comprehensive – This coverage pays for damage caused by an event other than a car collision, such as fire, theft, vandalism, hail or flood damage. Comprehensive also covers damage from an animal hit. Additionally, if your car is stolen, Comprehensive will cover the cost of a rental (subject to a daily limit). Like Collision coverage, a deductible usually applies.

If you have further questions about your Insurance policy, please Contact us at 1-855-4-TREVCO (1-855-487-3826). Our representatives are always available to answer your questions or help you with your policy.

Posted 12:21 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive

View Mobile Version

Buy Liability insurance  

Home Page Personal Insurance Business Insurance Service About Us Contact Us Blog RSS